Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

what to do with lamb flaps?

Posted by Ginny 
what to do with lamb flaps?
March 24, 2009 03:40PM
Hi everyone

I've got a couple of lamb flaps in the freezer that have very little fat on them - and I'm looking for a great way to cook them - anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

Ginny
Re: what to do with lamb flaps?
March 24, 2009 03:46PM
Very carefully remove the rib-bones, spread with a flavoursome stuffing, rosemary and thyme being the traditional flavour for lamb, roll up, tie with string and roast.
Back in the UK, NZ breast of lamb (flaps) was the cheapest meat you could buy, 6d (5c) each, so I used to feed them to my dog. That was round about 1966. I wonder what price they are over there now?
March 25, 2009 12:53AM
You can marinade them as spare ribs and grill.This would help remove some of the exces fat in them too
March 26, 2009 08:00AM
Hi Ginny

I agree with Lorna. My Mum has cooked these up for years, rolled and stuffed with your favourite stuffing mix, then slow roasted. If they are very lean make sure they don't get too dry or serve them like beef olives in a lovely gravy or with plenty of mint sauce.

"Waste not want not" is what we were brought up on. Enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2009 08:02AM by SallyH.
March 26, 2009 06:11PM
Hi Ginny , there is a skin over the flap that is best taken off ( the top) once you get a grip it can be pulled off.... enjoy them ,
March 27, 2009 04:14PM
Hey thanks so much you guys - I had thought about pulling the skin off seasoning with S & P, finely chopped fresh mint, oil then rolling, and cooking in the slow cooker all day - so what you've all said backs that up.....will give it a go in the weekend.

Ginny
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Pascall Mallow Bites